Wednesday 24 December 2008

Happy Christmas!

Here we are at the eve of another Christmas! If you asked me where this year has gone I would point you to the inumerable spreadsheets, books and piles of printed papers that I have accrued over the last 12 months.

The last 2 weeks have been a mixture of triumph and disaster. The disaster was discovering a basic error in the analysis spreadsheet that meant all the work I had done up to a week last Sunday was wrong. The air was blue when I found this but since then I have corrected the error, checked the calculation cells and run the data through again. This time rather than print the results out I have simply marked up a summary sheet with colours to show the highest difference between results of those within a category and everyone else. This minor triumph shows very clearly that rest is not a factor at all in almost all the variables and that work is also less of an issue.

I have also exported the final results for the students taking the Part 1 course and this gives me a picture of who stayed the course and who dropped out early. Once Christmas is over I can make a proper start on going through the data variable by variable. I have primed the family that I will be otherwise engaged so hope to finish this by the end of the month. I am taking the first week of January as annual leave and hope to have made a start on writing before I return to College on the 12th.

Those of you following this blog will notice a change in the title as the 12 months is now stretching towards 18 months. All being well I trust I will not need to change it again!

I wish you all well and hope you have a very Happy Christmas and, credit crunch or not, a prosperous New Year.

No comments: