Sunday 1 August 2010

And Next the Viva!!

Wow - 6 months on from my last post and a lot of water has flowed under the bridge. My draft was duly scrutinied by one of the lecturers at IOE as well as my supervisor and a couple of colleagues at the College. Their combined thoughts allowed me to take the first draft and improve it considerably. It was less demolition and rebuilding and more a gardening exercise - pruning sections out, re-arranging sections and drawing out / highlighting the best blooms. It is certainly well worth getting others to read a thesis not just from a content point of view but also from a research process and plain English stance. I had the feedback around Easter and finally submitted the thesis on 21st May. Hurray! The great thing was I could go on holiday to Italy and enjoy Rome, Florence and Venice without a research care in the world :-)

Of course now comes the interesting bit - the viva. This is arranged for 26th August and I am now busily preparing for it. An essential book to read beforehand is Rowena Murray's How to Survive your Viva - full of good advice. I doubt I will get passed without any further work but I am hoping this will be minor corrections / amendments only.

Will update when I have the result.

No comments: